SoonerStart-Early Intervention Program
Special Education Services Division
Oklahoma State Department of Education
SoonerStart is Oklahoma’s early intervention program for families of infants and toddlers, birth to 36 months who have developmental delays, disabilities or both. SoonerStart was established under Part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). SoonerStart builds upon and provides supports and resources to assist family members to enhance infant’s or toddler’s learning and development through everyday learning opportunities. The SoonerStart program provides case management, evaluation, AT devices and services.
Mark Sharp, Exe. Director
SoonerStart Early Intervention
Oklahoma State Dept. of Ed.
2500 N Lincoln, Ste 412
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
FAX: (405) 522-1590
Service Provision Agency:
John Corpolongo, Chief
SoonerStart Early Intervention
Oklahoma State Dept. of Health
1000 NE 10th, Rm 803
Oklahoma City, OK 73117
(405) 271-9444 ext. 56806
FAX: (405) 271-4419
- Infants and toddlers birth through 36 months of age who:
- exhibit a delay in their developmental age compared to their chronological age of 50% in one, or 25% in two or more of the following areas: cognitive, physical, communication, social/emotional, or adaptive development; or
- have a diagnosed physical or mental condition that has a high probability of resulting in delay. This includes, but is not limited to: chromosomal disorders, neurological abnormalities, inborn errors of metabolism, genetic disorders, congenital malformations of the brain, congenital infections, sensory abnormalities, impairments, or identified syndromes.
AT Services Provided/Covered
- Assessments & Evaluations
- Locating Alternate Funding
- Case Management
- Training for Consumer & Family
- Information & Referral
- Fabrication of Devices
- Maintenance & Repairs
AT Devices Provided/ Covered
- Aids for Hearing Impaired
- Mobility/Seating & Positioning
- Speech Communication
- Aids for Daily Living
- Aids for Vision Impaired
- Recreatioin & Leisure Devices
- A referral for SoonerStart services can be made by physicians and other health professionals, family members, childcare professionals, neighbors, friends and other interested individuals.
- The referring individual or family member should contact the Oklahoma State Department of Education, Special Education Services at (405) 521-3351 and ask for the phone number to the local SoonerStart office, based upon the county of residence of the child.
- SoonerStart referral numbers to specific county offices can be found at: http://ok.gov/sde/sites/ok.gov.sde/files/2013%20Referral%20Guide%20back.pdf
- Participation in SoonerStart is voluntary. SoonerStart will complete the developmental screening, evaluation of the child’s development or both at no direct cost to the family.
- If the family chooses to accept services, an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) identifying the needed services and supports for the child and the family will be developed. The family will participate in identifying these services and supports.
Dispute Resolution Process
Pieces of the Puzzle
Sharon House, Exe. Director
Jo Anne Pool Blades